Kennel Tech (ACT)
Company: Operation Kindness
Posted on: September 16, 2022
If you want to work with animals and also love people, we invite
you to apply for the Animal Care Tech position! Operation Kindness
is a non-profit animal welfare organization in Texas. We operate a
lifesaving animal shelter and programs to assist people and pets.We
are offering signing bonuses when external candidates join our
team! New hires could receive up to $500.Working at Operation
Kindness is both fun and rewarding! We offer outstanding benefits
including health, vision, dental, disability, and life insurance, a
403(b) retirement plan and generous paid time off.As our animals
require care each day of the year, weekend and holiday availability
is a must. We provide 10 holidays per year that hourly employees
who work on the holiday receive time and a half pay!Animal Care
Techs provide daily care for our animals, including maintaining a
clean and healthy environment, feeding and providing exercise.
There is also time for socializing and getting to know our dogs and
cats.See below for more about the role!REPORTING RELATIONSHIP:
Reports to the Animal Care Manager and the Lead ACTs. For day to
day assignments and questions the Lead ACTs will be there to train
and support all kennel staff. They will issue daily assignments and
answer any questions you may have. The manager oversees the overall
operation of the Kennel team.POSITION OVERVIEW: Animal Care
Technicians provide daily care for the dogs and cats in our shelter
while they await their forever home. As an ACT at Operation
Kindness, you are on the front line for the care of our animals.
This includes maintaining a clean and healthy environment for all
the animals in our care, as well as following proper procedures for
sanitation and disease prevention.Maintaining a high standard of
husbandry in our shelter is crucial for our animals. Continuous
attention to cleanliness throughout the day provides out our
clients with a positive experience while walking through our
shelter. Because we work so closely with our animals, we are
responsible for reporting medical/ behavioral concerns, as well as
different personality traits that may aid in them getting adopted.
As a member of the animal care team, you will also be responsible
for feeding, walking, socializing, exercising in outside yards/
playgroup, for our dogs and cats every day.We work alongside other
departments at Operation Kindness, like the behavior department so
we can maintain consistency and structure for our animals. The
Animal Care Technicians work closely together to meet the goals of
the team and the organization. Continued education is provided
around animal care and behavior. We offer a variety of career
growth opportunitiesSCHEDULE: The Animal Care Technician position
is full-time for approximately 40 hours a week. This is broken down
into four, 10 hour shifts each week, 7am - 6pm.
- Dogs and cats require daily care, so weekend/holiday
availability is a requirement of this position.Job
- Cleans and sanitizes all animal enclosures and the kennel area
per our Standard Operating Procedures, while utilizing our power
washing (SMT) system.
- Maintains cleanliness throughout the day by removing messes in
a timely manner.
- Weekly rotating deep cleaning schedules, to sanitize kennel
areas top to bottom.
- Cleans and sanitizes all food and water bowls.
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of other spaces in the
kennel area as well as storage spaces.
- Cleans, maintains, removes waste from outside play yards,
walking trail, and sanitizes dog porches.
- Wash, fold, and restock laundry.
- Cleans, sanitizes, and organizes outside storage for portable
- Cleans other shelter areas and/or equipment as requested or
- Follow all applicable SOPs.Feeding
- Feeds all animals in our care twice daily according to the
color-coded measuring system.
- Ensures that all animals always have access to fresh clean
- Be aware of special/prescription diets, special feeding
instructions, and follow the directions laid out for them.
- Organize and clean food storage room.
- Follow all applicable SOPs.Walking/Exercising/Socializing
- All dogs are walked and exercised regularly throughout the
- Cats are to have time on our outside Catio to explore and
- When interacting with the animal's proper safety guidelines and
training protocols must be followed.
- Spending time getting to know the animals in our care and
socializing with them. This helps prepare them to meet potential
- Follow all applicable SOPs.Additional Responsibilities
- Assists in loading/unloading shelter vehicles when needed.
- Assists clients with questions while providing good customer
- Work alongside volunteers and other departments to ensure a
positive and kind working environment.
- Other duties as assigned or requested to benefit Operation
Kindness.Education and Experience RequirementsEducation
- Minimum High School Diploma or equivalentExperience: One year
of part-time or full-time work experience for which references are
available - Previous Kennel or Animal Care experience preferred,
but not requiredGeneral Requirements for Success:
- Must love dogs and cats as well as have an ardent desire to
- Comfortable being around animals (cats and dogs).
- Patient and caring personality.
- Positive attitude.
- Working as a part of a team.
- Punctual and dependable.
- Follow Operation Kindnesses Culture of Kindness with all
- Supports Operation Kindness mission as a no kill, non-profit
- Can work professionally with all staff, volunteers, and members
of the public.
- Be inclusive, sensitive, and respectful to all co-workers,
management, and volunteers.
- Physical requirements: must be able to lift 40 pounds. Must be
able to work 10 hours sitting, kneeling, standing, walking,
lifting, carrying, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Must be able to pass a drug screening and standard background
check.Physical Effort: Position requires lifting and carrying
animals and shelter materials weighting up to 40 lbs.; when animals
or materials weigh over 40 lbs., another staff member will assist
in the lifting and carrying. Position also requires sitting or
standing for extended periods of time.Working conditions: May be
exposed to unpleasant odors, noises, and animal feces. May be
exposed to bites, scratches, and animal diseases.Background checks
and drugs screens are part of the hiring process.Operation Kindness
is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon
race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including
pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual
orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a
protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or
other applicable legally protected characteristics or status.Job
Type: Full-timeSalary: $14.00 per hourJob Type: Full-timePay:
$14.00 per hourBenefits:
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insuranceSchedule:
- 4x10Work Location: One location
Keywords: Operation Kindness, Carrollton , Kennel Tech (ACT), Other , Carrollton, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!